Open vSwitch: Virtual Networking with Ben Pfaff
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Virtual machines are operating system instances that run alongside each other on the same physical host. The virtual machines running on a physical host are managed by a hypervisor running on the physical host. A cluster of two physical servers could have four virtual machines running across those two physical instances. Those four virtual machines can communicate over a virtual switch.
A network switch allows packets of bytes to be routed between machines. With a physical network switch, a dedicated physical device sits in the computer network to do this routing. A virtual network switch provides this packet routing without needing a dedicated physical hardware device for routing.
Open vSwitch is a distributed virtual multilayer switch. Open vSwitch provides network switching for hardware virtualization environments. Ben Pfaff is a core contributor to Open vSwitch, and he joins the show to talk about operating system virtualization. Ben was an early employee at Nicira, a company that made significant developments in software-defined networking before being acquired by VMware in 2012.
- Open vSwitch
- Why Open vSwitch? — Open vSwitch 2.10.90 documentation
- General — Open vSwitch 2.10.90 documentation
- What is a Virtual Switch (vSwitch)? – Definition from Techopedia
- (1) Open vSwitch 2014 Fall Conference: Introductory Keynote – YouTube
- Open vSwitch – Wikipedia
- Open vSwitch Joins Linux Foundation Open Networking Ecosystem – The Linux Foundation
- Tech Talk by Ben Pfaff: Open vSwitch – Past, Present & Future – 03/20/2013 – YouTube
- Introduction to Open vSwitch : Key Components – YouTube
- An Introduction to Open vSwitch – Simon Horman – YouTube
- Open Source Networking – The Linux Foundation
Transcript provided by We Edit Podcasts. Software Engineering Daily listeners can go to weeditpodcasts.com/sed to get 20% off the first two months of audio editing and transcription services. Thanks to We Edit Podcasts for partnering with SE Daily. Please click here to view this show’s transcript.