Android Things with Wayne Piekarski
Internet of Things is a concept that describes lots of devices that you interact with regularly being connected to the Internet and networked together.
Technologists have been dreaming of the world of IoT for many years, where our connected refrigerator can detect that we are out of food, and automatically order more food. Or our connected bathroom can scan us for diseases and recommend treatment.
The bright future of IoT is slowly coming together. Hardware prototyping is getting cheaper. Voice interfaces and machine learning are creating new mediums for communicating with devices. Platforms like Kickstarter are allowing developers to validate the market for their products and raise the necessary capital to build their product.
Android Things is a developer platform for IoT applications based on the Android Operating system. Android Things consists of hardware devices and software tools that reduce common IoT problems such as software updates and security patches. Wayne Piekarski is a staff developer advocate at Google, and he joins the show to talk about the state of IoT and why Google built Android Things.
- Prototype Manufacturing with Jeff McAlvay
- Android Things | Android Developers
- Android Things 1.0 Features and APIs | Android Things | Android Developers
- Introduction to Android Things – YouTube
- Introducing Android Things 1.0 – YouTube
- What’s new in Android Things (Google I/O ’18) – YouTube
- Build with Android Things
- Android Things: Everything you need to know about Google’s plan to disrupt IoT
- Android Developers Blog: Say Hello to Android Things 1.0
- Android Things 1.0 launches, Google promises 3 years of updates for every device | Ars Technica
- Android Things 1.0 fixes the biggest pain points in building IoT devices
- Into Android Things with zero IoT knowledge. – Elye – Medium
Transcript provided by We Edit Podcasts. Software Engineering Daily listeners can go to weeditpodcasts.com/sed to get 20% off the first two months of audio editing and transcription services. Thanks to We Edit Podcasts for partnering with SE Daily. Please click here to view this show’s transcript.