Big Data: Fundamental Questions
Big Data Week is the second theme of Software Engineering Daily.
“Big Data” is a legitimate trend as well as an overhyped buzzword. Big Data is not a scam, but putting “Big Data” on your resume today has negative expected value.
There is tension and confusion around the reality and surreality of Big Data engineering.
From August 3-9, there will be podcast interviews with experts on Spark, Hadoop, Zookeeper, Kafka, and other components of the Big Data ecosystem. Below is a collection of fundamental questions about the space:
- How do customers of multiple managed big data companies deal with the heterogeneity?
- Are there enough knowledgeable support technicians at managed big data companies to handle the customers?
- How does a big data customer augment a batch pipeline with streaming?
- Are Hadoop queries mostly written in Pig or Hive?
- Is a measurement of Big Data throughput the new Moore’s Law?
- Where does Kafka fit in?
- What is the difference between Spark, Storm, Flink, Samza, and other streaming technologies?
- How has the database world been affected by Big Data?
- What is at the intersection of Bitcoin and Big Data?