Continuous Integration in Open Source with Oren Novotny
Open source software is key to our software infrastructure. Closed source enterprises rely on open source software, but the development processes for closed source and open source software are often different in their approach to continuous integration and delivery.
Oren Novotny is a chief architect of DevOps and modern software at BlueMetal Architects where he works with a variety of clients to build products and internal applications. Oren spends lots of time developing open source software for his job as well as during his spare time. He’s been in the software industry for more than 15 years, and has a wide breadth of insights from different businesses in how they apply software.
We started the conversation talking about electronic trading companies, which in some ways operate like large enterprises and in other ways operate like startups. Oren described working in the financial industry through the 2008 crisis, then switching industries to work at Microsoft, before coming to BlueMetal Architects. We then discussed the process of setting up continuous integration for an open source project–including the difficulties and the large benefits for adding continuous integration to an open source project.
- onovotny (Oren Novotny) / Repositories · GitHub
- Oren Novotny » Projects I maintain or contribute to
- GitHub – onovotny/SignService: Code Signing service and Client for Authenticode, NuGet, VSIX, and more.
- Everything you need to know about Authenticode Code Signing – IEInternals
- Microsoft Authenticode Code Signing Certificate Authentication
- Announcing Azure Pipelines with unlimited CI/CD minutes for open source | Blog | Microsoft Azure
- Announcing Azure Pipelines with unlimited CI/CD minutes for open source : programming
- .NET Foundation
Transcript provided by We Edit Podcasts. Software Engineering Daily listeners can go to weeditpodcasts.com/sed to get 20% off the first two months of audio editing and transcription services. Thanks to We Edit Podcasts for partnering with SE Daily. Please click here to view this show’s transcript.