Apache Drill with Tomer Shiran
“It’s a great world to be a developer in. If you’re a developer today, you have so many tools and so many options.”
Apache Drill is a schema-free SQL query engine for Hadoop, NoSQL, and cloud storage. Drill is unique in that it uses a JSON data model instead of a relational model like many traditional engines. Additionally, it supports on-the-fly schema discovery, which allows execution to begin without knowing the structure of the data. As a result, Drill can work with data that is constantly updating or changing.
Tomer Shiran is the founder of the Apache Drill project and the CEO of Dremio.
- After all the hype of NoSQL databases, people are realizing that we still need SQL – can you describe this evolution?
- How did NoSQL solve scalability problems?
- What is a SQL query engine?
- What was Google trying to solve with the Dremel paper?
- What are the problems with JSON that make things harder for a query engine?
- At the cross section of business and open source, what are the challenges, and what are you looking forward to seeing?
- What do you see as the future of the Hadoop ecosystem?